Posts mit dem Label LoC werden angezeigt. Alle Posts anzeigen
Posts mit dem Label LoC werden angezeigt. Alle Posts anzeigen

Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013

Pakistan rejects Indian army chief's warning

Source :  Xinhua

ISLAMABAD, Jan. 15(Xinhua) --Pakistan on Tuesday rejected remarks by Indian army chief that the killing of two Indian soldiers was a pre-planned and pre-meditated action by Pakistani troops and India reserves the right to retaliate at "time and place of its choice," local media reported.

Indian army chief Gen. Bikram Singh on Monday blamed Pakistan for the 2003 ceasefire violation along the Line of Control (LoC), which divides the two countries in the disputed Kashmir region, and termed as "unpardonable" the alleged beheading of a soldier by Pakistan.

A Pakistan Foreign Ministry spokesperson said that Pakistan did not want to vitiate the already tense situation along the LoC by making irresponsible statements.

He was responding to the recent remarks made by the Indian army chief on the ceasefire violations on the Line of Control, the Foreign Ministry said.

"Pakistan attaches great importance to the ongoing peace process with India, and is committed to resolve the issue of LOC violations under the agreed mechanism," the spokesman said in a statement.

Pakistan and India accused each other of ceasefire violations over the past 10 days, which resulted into the killing of four soldiers from the two sides.

The Pakistani spokesman also reiterated the country's earlier offer to hold a thorough investigation into the recent violations of LOC by the United Nations Military Observer's Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP).

He welcomed the statement by the Indian Minister for External Affairs who reiterated his government's commitment to ensure that the peace process would not be derailed.

The Spokesperson underlined Pakistan's desire to continue the dialogue process with India in a sustained and result-oriented manner.

It is important that both sides make serious efforts to avoid distractions in their common efforts towards creating a peaceful environment, he said.

Montag, 14. Januar 2013

India, Pakistan armies holds flag meeting in Kashmir following skirmishes

Source : APA

Baku-APA. The armies of India and Pakistan Monday met for Brigade-level flag meeting following deadly skirmishes on line-of-control (LoC) in Kashmir, officials said.

The meeting between army official from both sides was held at Chakan Da Bagh in Poonch.

"The flag meeting between brigade commanders of India and Pakistan started around 1300 hours (local time) and ended at 1332 hours at Chakan-Da-Bagh point in Poonch," said Col R K Palta.

The Indian team was led by 10th Brigade Commander Brig. T S Sandhu.

Officials said aim of the meeting was to ease tension between two sides and stop ceasefire violations along LoC.

On Sunday evening the two sides exchanged heavy fire and mortar shells in the Krishna Ghati sector of frontier Poonch district, around 180 km southwest of Srinagar city, the summer capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir.

LoC is a de facto border that divides Kashmir into Indian and Pakistani controlled parts.

The two armies have been engaging in deadly skirmishes on LoC since Jan. 6. Since then four troopers of both countries (two from each side) were killed in these skirmishes, thereby heightening tension between the nuclear neighbors.

Both New Delhi and Islamabad accuse each other of resorting to unprovoked firing on LoC and breaching the ceasefire line.

Official sources said both the sides lodged strong protests over the ceasefire violations and killings of troopers.

Following the heightened tension between two countries cross LoC Trade and travel was suspended. The officials posted on LoC from Pakistani-controlled Kashmir side refused to open the gate for goods trucks and bus, officials said.

New Delhi and Islamabad in 2003 agreed to observe a ceasefire along the international border and LoC in Kashmir. Though some violations have been reported on both sides, the ceasefire remains in effect.

The allegations of intrusion on each other have alerted the armies from both sides deputed on LoC. According to defense analysts intrusions by India and Pakistan troopers into each other 's territory was unheard of since late 2003.

Kashmir, the Himalayan region divided between India and Pakistan is claimed by both in full. Since their independence from British, the two countries have fought three wars, two exclusively over Kashmir.

Sonntag, 13. Januar 2013

Fresh exchange of fire between India, Pakistan armies in Kashmir

Source :  Xinhua | English.news.cn

SRINAGAR, Indian-controlled Kashmir, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) -- The armies of India and Pakistan Sunday exchanged heavy fire and artillery shells once again on line-of-control (LoC) in Indian- controlled Kashmir, officials said.

The ceasefire violation took place Sunday evening along the LoC in Krishna Ghati sector of frontier Poonch district, around 180 km southwest of Srinagar city, the summer capital of Indian- controlled Kashmir.

"Pakistani troops this evening again resorted to unprovoked firing using machine guns and mortars on our several posts," said Col. R K Palta, Indian army spokesman based in Jammu. "We also retaliated back."

LoC is a de facto border that divides Kashmir into Indian and Pakistani controlled parts. "We have not suffered any damage due to Pakistani firing today," said Palta.

The ongoing skirmish since last Sunday between Indian and Pakistani troopers on LoC is heightening tension between the two nuclear neighbors. So far four troopers of both countries, two from each side, were killed in these skirmishes on LoC.

Both New Delhi and Islamabad accuse each other of resorting to unprovoked firing on LoC and breaching the ceasefire line. New Delhi and Islamabad in 2003 agreed to observe a ceasefire along the international border and LoC in Kashmir. Though some violations have been reported on both sides, the ceasefire remains in effect.

Kashmir, the Himalayan region divided between India and Pakistan, is claimed by both in full. Since their independence from British, the two countries have fought three wars, two exclusively over Kashmir.

Pakistan said it wants a third party inquiry into the ceasefire violations on the LoC. Islamabad, according to reports, has already contacted United Nations Military Observer Group in Indian and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) and proposed investigation into ceasefire violations. However, New Delhi has rejected any UN investigation, saying they do not want to internationalize the issue.

An office of UNMOGIP is also in Srinagar. The office was set up in 1949 to monitor the ceasefire line, now known as LoC.

Samstag, 12. Januar 2013

India and Pakistan borders in Kashmir tense after skirmishes

Source :Pakistan News

ISLAMABAD/NEW DELHI - Pakistan Friday lodged a strong protest with India over border skirmishes as New Delhi put its border troops on alert following continuous ceasefire violations blamed by the nuclear-powered neighbours on each other.

Pakistani Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani summoned India's high commissioner Sharat Sabharwal and asked that the Indian government thoroughly investigate "repeated violations of the ceasefire" along the de facto border.

The Line of Control a ceasefire line that divides disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir between the two neighbours remained tense following repeated incidents of cross border shelling and border conflict that led to the killing of two Indian soldiers earlier this week.

There were three separate clashes along the de facto border this week, with the latest incident taking place Thursday.

Tensions between India and Pakistan escalated after Jan 6 when a Pakistani soldier was killed allegedly by Indian troops.

Two days later, two Indian soldiers were killed and beheaded near the LoC. Indian officials blamed Pakistani troops for the horror.

An Indian foreign ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin told reporters in New Delhi Friday that Indian troops in the Mendhar sector in Kashmir responded in a "controlled" way to unprovoked firing from the Pakistani side.

Pakistan's military said a soldier was killed in the "unprovoked firing" by the Indian Army.

Pakistan military spokesman Major-General Asim Saleem Bajwa said Thursday's attack was the 10th ceasefire violation by India so far this year. The two neighbours had agreed on a border truce about a decade ago that has largely held so far.

Pakistan's foreign office said "such unprovoked attacks" are against the spirit of the ongoing peace process and create "unnecessary and unavoidable distractions" in peace efforts.

Pakistan also said it has pursued dialogue with India "with seriousness" and taken "significant steps" to create a peaceful environment.

An Indian military official told reporters in Delhi that Pakistani troops Friday again opened fire at Indian posts close to the LoC in the Krishna Ghati sector, around 250 km from Jammu, the winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir.

"The army offered a calibrated response to silence Pakistani guns," said the official pleading anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media.

The firing lasted for half an hour, he said.

"There were no casualties on this (Indian) side."

Pakistan has suspended the cross border bus service, blocking trade as it also did not open its gates to allow goods truck

Freitag, 11. Januar 2013

Pakistan summons Indian ambassador over killing of second soldier

Source :  Xinhua

ISLAMABAD, Jan. 11 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan on Friday summoned Indian ambassador to the Foreign Ministry and a formal protest was lodged over the killing of its second soldier in Indian firing in less than a week, state media reported.

Pakistan Army said Thursday that Indian forces killed one of its soldiers along the Line of Control (LoC), the de facto border between the two countries in the disputed Kashmir region. "The Indian High Commissioner was summoned and handed over a protest note on the unprovoked Indian attack on a Pakistani post along the Line of Control that killed a Pakistani soldier yesterday,"radio Pakistan reported.

Pakistan Army said that the solder, Havildar Mohyuddin, was killed due to unprovoked firing by Indian troops at Hotspring sector in Battal sector.

The statement from the Pakistan military's Inter-Services Public Relations said that the Indian troops resorted to unprovoked firing at a Pakistani post named Kundi.

India has also accused Pakistani forces of killing two of its soldiers in its parts of Kashmir on Tuesday, but the charges were denied by Pakistan.

Pakistani Foreign Minister, Hina Rabbani Khar, on Thursday denied Indian claim and said Pakistan wants a third party to conduct inquiry into the ceasefire violations on the LoC.

The clashes escalated tensions along the LoC and posed threat to the 2003 bilateral ceasefire.

Foreign Minister Khar told a news conference in Islamabad that Pakistan has also contacted UN military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) and proposed investigation into the border violations.

New Delhi has rejected Pakistan's offer to seek UN investigation into the alleged LoC clashes, saying it is a bilateral issue.

Fresh tension as India and Pakistan border row escalates

Source :Pakistan News

DELHI - India and Pakistan were Thursday locked in a fresh war of words and a bitter diplomatic row over a border skirmish that led to the killing of two Indian soldiers earlier this week.

There were reports of cross border mortar shelling again Thursday as Pakistan army alleged that Indian soldiers killed one of their border colleagues, in the worst outbreak of violence since the nuclear rivals agreed on a ceasefire a decade ago.

A Pakistan army spokesperson said one of soldiers was killed by "unprovoked" fire from the other side of a de facto border in Kashmir a Himalayan state claimed in full by both but ruled in parts.

If true, Thursday's would be the third fatal attack in five days along the ceasefire line or the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Kashmir between the two neighbours.

A Pakistani soldier was killed Sunday. This followed the killing and mutilation of two Indian soldiers Tuesday, officials from respective countries said.

The two sides have lodged diplomatic protests with Pakistan even proposing a UN probe into the killings.

But India has rejected the proposal of the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) taking up the investigation into the incidents. The group is present on both sides of the LoC.

"We are certainly not going to agree to internationalise the issue or allow the UN to hold an inquiry. That demand is obviously rejected out of hand," Indian Finance Minister P. Chidambaram said at a news conference.

He was speaking to the media after taking part in the meetings of the high level cabinet panel on security, also attended by Defence Minister A. K. Antony.

"We take a serious view of what happened. Whatever has to be done will be done," Chidambaram said as India alleged that one of the dead soldiers was decapitated brutally.

As the border tension raged, Pakistan disallowed Indian goods trucks from Jammu and Kashmir to enter its territory, temporarily halting the cross border trade.

In Islamabad, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar reiterated the demand for a third party enquiry into the ceasefire violations.

Khar said she was "unpleasantly surprised" by Indian accusations against Pakistan.

She however allayed fears that the standoff could escalate to derail the peace process with India.

"You asked whether this will set back or derail the (peace) process. I will hope not and I (do not) see it derailing or setting back the process," Khar told reporters at the Foreign Office.

"I hope both the countries will show their commitment to correct (the situation) as we are showing our commitment to correct. "

Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2013

Pakistani FM seeks third party inquiry into cross-border attacks

Source : Xinhua | English.news.cn

ISLAMABAD, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan's Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar Thursday said Pakistan wants a third party inquiry into the ceasefire violations on the Line of Control (LoC), the de facto border between Pakistan and India in the disputed Kashmir region, after India accused Pakistani forces of killing two of its soldiers.

The foreign minister told a news conference in Islamabad that Pakistan has also contacted United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) and proposed investigation into the border violations.

"Pakistan abides by the ceasefire and follows the mechanism to deal with such kinds of issues," she said while speaking at a joint press conference along with the visiting Foreign Minister of Thailand Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

Reports from India suggest that New Delhi has rejected Pakistan 's offer that the UN probes the alleged LoC clashes.

Indian officials alleged that Pakistani forces entered some 100 meters into its territory and killed two soldiers, adding that one soldier was beheaded.

Reacting strongly to the contradictory statements emanating from India, Foreign Minister Khar said Pakistan made responsible statements and followed the mechanism to defuse the situation.

"Pakistan will not like to escalate situation with India and hoped the recent incident at the LoC will not cause setback to the peace process," she said.

She said Pakistan has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to improve relations with India. "In this regard, we have also taken several trust building measures," she said.

She said the people of Pakistan are peace loving and extend a hand of friendship to all the regional countries including India. She said her country has taken a lead role in building trust with India.

To a question about the granting of the Most Favored Nation status to Indiam, Hina Rabbani Khar said Islamabad remains committed to improving trade relations with New Delhi. "Pakistan wants removal of all visible and invisible trade barriers with India," she said.

Pakistan-India tension has prompted international calls for calm and talks to avoid escalations. The UN and the United States, have appealed to Pakistan and India to respect the ceasefire in the Kashmir region.

In New Delhi, Pakistani High Commissioner was summoned to the Ministry of External Affairs on Wednesday and a formal protest was lodged over the alleged Pakistani incursion.

Senior Pakistani and Indian military officials on Wednesday also talked on phone and discussed the current situation, the Pakistani military said.